Saturday, January 12, 2013

Cold Snap

Okay, it's that time of year when we thin-blooded Arizonans get laughed at by our Northern counter-parts.  Because IT. IS. COLD.

I know this may not seem like a wintery high temp to most people, but look at those lows! It still amazes me that the temperature can change nearly 30 degrees from sun up to sun down.  Despite my D.C upbringing the sundowns are killing me.  But, if I think I'm unmotivated to get out from underneath my covers in the morning and brave the crisp, cold air of day, I need only look to my poor, Florida-born husband, who has been sleeping in long sleeves and a hoodie for the past week.

We have packed our outdoor pipes with towels so they won't burst (which they often do around here because the desert just doesn't have the infastructure for freezing weather) and our neighbors have bundled up their cacti for the season.

 It may be easy to laugh.  I know 25 degrees is nothing compared to the negative-somethings that so many other people must bear.  It may be easy to call us wimps, to tell us to toughen up, and in times like these it's all we hear from the rest of the country, but to that I respond:

I go running in triple digits.

Give me 75 degrees and I'll wear jeans and drink a hot latte.  When it's 106 we're outside hiking and playing sports when most would pass out.  Yes, we wear camel-backs and drink 2 liters to most people's 12 ounces of water, and lather on SPF 80, but I'll take all of that any day over this. Brr!


No comments:

Post a Comment