Saturday, March 1, 2014

Sleep Deprivation



Eat, Sleep, Poop.  That's what everyone told me was the extent of a newborn's repertoire.  Our baby has the eating and pooping down like a pro, but a couple of nights this past week had me wondering if I'd unknowingly given birth to a vampire.  Instead of sleeping, he'd much rather do this:

Yes, it's incredibly adorable.  And don't get me wrong, it's just as adorable at 3a.m. A couple of nights this week he was wide awake in the wee hours, doing absolutely nothing but eating and... being awake. I finally took the "if you can't beat em' join em'" approach and started our day.  Frustrated as I was with my lack of sleep and his lack of empathy for my lack of sleep, I knew there had to be an explanation.

A day later at my dr. appointment I got one. He was due for his first growth spurt, demanding a larger milk supply, and all that eating awake time was just what he had to do as a baby to accomplish what I believe should be the fourth task in a newborn's life- grow.  Eat, Sleep, Poop, Grow.

And I know it's only been three weeks, but I already believe it's too fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment