Friday, February 21, 2014

Learning Curve



I can't believe it's been almost two weeks since Brayden's arrival made us a family.  He is settled in and adapting to the world very well so far.  Today's pediatrician appointment revealed he is now 9lbs 4oz and in the 75th percentile for his size.  That's a lot of growing in just two weeks! With breast-feeding, sleeping and even focusing and following objects with his eyes, Brayden is pretty much a pro at being a baby.  Drew and I on the other hand, had a few lessons to learn about life with a new baby:

1. The inner-workings of the digestive system dominate daily conversations in a way I couldn't have imagined. I have mentioned pee and poop more times in the past two weeks than a first-grade class clown.
2. Baby boys come with a built-in fire extinguishing system, but it seems to malfunction quite frequently. The slightest false alarm can send it spiraling out of control, unleashing onto my husband's clothes, the nursery wall, or anything within fountain range.
3. On a related topic, never bend down to lovingly kiss your baby boy on the forehead while the fire extinguishing system is exposed without a diaper.  I nearly caught it in the eye.
4. I have discovered the fastest rate in which I can consume a meal before an inevitable interruption.  For example, a bowl of cereal takes four minutes.
5. I have also discovered the minimum amount of sleep required for my body and brain to function properly.  Failure to meet the minimum requirement results in brief bouts of narcolepsy, usually while nursing a baby.

All lessons aside, Brayden has his dad's laid-back disposition and has only kept us up for a few nights so far. (knock on wood!) He's already developing a little personality. 

Brayden likes: footie pjs, blankets, sleep sheep, playing with mommy's hair, peeing on daddy, eating and sleeping.
He dislikes: diaper changes, being naked, seatbelts and mittens.

A few friends had asked us what it's like to know that from now on there are three of us instead of two, or whether it's strange to go from just us, to us and a tiny human that will be involved in our lives forever.  To me it doesn't feel strange. In fact, as soon as he arrived I couldn't imagine life without him. It's like he's always existed, but now he's home.

No comments:

Post a Comment